Sunday, October 24, 2010

Well, Am I An American?

On paper and by law, yes, I am an American. Born and raised in the USA, I am a certified citizen. And even though I may not agree with every decision the leaders of our country make, I am still an American. But do I take pride in that fact? America is a big melting pot, the very symbol of freedom for those who wish to come here, or at least, that's what the United States started out as. But unfortunately, the lawmakers have changed, and the immigrants coming here have changed. Society has changed. Whether I like it or not, I'm American. N0 hiding it either with that trademark accent.
But the moment I knew I was an American? My family is not extremely patriotic nor are we anti-America. Perhaps the moment I knew I was an American was on one Independence Day, the Fourth of July. I must have been around nine or ten and my dad and I went down to Lake Michigan to see the fireworks go off. We had a nice-sized American flag and so I brought that. Seeing the crowds upon crowds of people decked out in their red, white and blue finery by the lake was a new sight for me, having never been allowed to go out this late on Fourth of July before. I felt a sense of true belonging with these people: even though we were so different, we were all able to bond over the anniversary of our country's freedom. There was an almost palpable feeling of unity and pride and the atmosphere was just so positive. And maybe some people at the lake was just drunk or looking for an excuse to party and that's why they were so happy, but little Nina didn't understand that yet, and ignorance is bliss sometimes. But I'm pretty sure the other half of the people who came to the lake that night were proud to be Americans too.

6 comments:

  1. How did it affect you when you found out you were an American?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it :). I fully like the innocence of you as a child observing the patroitism or the idea of patriotism of the adults. Its quite admireable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's interesting how you mention the idea of the Fourth and how many just associate it with partying and getting drunk. It's hard to focus on what it means anymore, you knew then I bet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The great thing about America is that you don't have to agree with it :P. Knowing that America is always succumb to change so it is easily molded by the people.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ello. I feel kinda bad since I haven't visited your blog until your comment. :P

    Anyways, I guess stereotypes about my race only make me more self-conscious, and they sometimes annoy me. Take, when friends and classmates all gasp and surprise themselves when I don't do as well grade-wise. No one said I was perfect, and no one said that being Asian makes you smart. Our Asian parents made us smart, by yelling the heck out of us about our grades, and making us do extra homework at home. It's not like I try living up to them, or like I try being rebellious and defy them, but I find myself ignoring them most of the time.

    My turn for questions. :D
    Though at July 4th little Nina experienced some overwhelming sense of connectedness, does it change your views on anything? Would you justify a lot of the things the US does, be it right or wrong? Annnddddd, do you love how the only thing we practically learn in grade-school history class is about the US?

    ReplyDelete