Thursday, December 2, 2010

The Trick of Writing [not a winter poem]

Edline says we are writing a winter poem but the sheet says we are writing about the trick of writing. So I'll compromise: I'll paint a nice wintry scene for you all, and then I'll write about writing. It sounds fair to me.
Picture this- you, sitting inside your warm house, a mug of hot chocolate by your side, an orange fire crackling in the fireplace. Snow is falling from the thick white sky, as if the whole world is under a wool blanket and the flurries are just part of the material. Outside, the wind blows and you see people walk by with red noses and flying scarves, but you are safe and warm. Winter. I can't much explain my love for it other than it's really comforting, and the wreaths and lights are beautiful downtown late at night, and going ice skating by the Bean is fun. Winter is that time where, I think, you feel you can do whatever you want, because with the snow and the cold air comes a giddy feeling of freedom and excitement unlike any other season. So without any further ado, the trick of writing.
Writers are modern day magicians. Save for the fact they can't make food out of thin air [although I guess, neither can the magicians, food is the first of the five principal exceptions to Gamp’s Law of Elemental Transfiguration- huge Harry Potter fan, anyone?], writers cast spells over the readers, draw them into a world of new and wondrous proportions and keep them trapped there until the final events have unfolded. Writing is a type of magic. Okay, call me corny, but I like to write. A lot. The whole idea of this imaginary world where the author had complete control over, it fascinated me. But enough about me, onto the tricks.
For me, the word "tricks" implies some deceitful means of achieving the result you want. Or it could also mean tools of the trade, tips you need to know to be a successful writer. I prefer the latter definition. The trick of writing, you see, is just that: to draw the reader in. Once you've gotten your reader hooked, keep them on their toes. Make the story interesting. Make the reader want to keep reading. That, I think, is the most important trick of writing. Make them want to stay in your world.
But how do you get this enticing beginning, this worm of an opening paragraph to reel the reader in like a hooked fish? Many ways, at least that I know. A question, the end of the story, a random plot, dialogue between the characters- the options are virtually endless. Forgive me for not listing more, it's almost nine and I haven't started geometry.
Sorry this was really long, but I hope I fulfilled the requirement adequately. So good night to all, and happy second night of Hanukkah! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment